Sunday, July 15, 2012

The Twelve Olympians

I ended with the Titans' defeat in my last post.  If you have not yet guessed, Zeus is now the lord of the universe.  Powers were given to different gods.  Zeus got the universe, Poseidon got the ocean, and Hades got the underworld, and so on.  They were built a palace by the Cyclopes' on the highest mountain in Greece, called Olympus.  There were twelve Olympian gods, whose backgrounds I will explain later.  The gods were: Zeus, Poseidon, Ares, Hephaestus, Dionysus, Hermes and Apollo.  The goddess' were: Hera, Athena, Aphrodite, Demeter, and Artemis.  All of the gods and goddess' but Hades lived on Olympus.  Some were children of gods, and the others were the original gods.  These are the major gods.  They ran Olympus.  Read about the backgrounds of all of the Olympians in future posts.  I will explain all of the gods and goddess' except Zeus.  I already explained Zeus's past in previous posts.

-Julie Shiroma

1 comment:

  1. I love Greek mythology, thank you for refreshing my memory. I am looking forward to the story of Thesus and the Minotaur.

    ReplyDelete